About Us

History

 
Westminster School for Young Children was founded in 1946, when Mrs. Wilfred Fischer opened one of Nashville’s first Protestant kindergartens at Westminster Presbyterian Church.  WSYC was located in a former residence at 3810 West End Avenue, where Westminster Sunday School also met.  For exercise outdoors, Mrs. Fischer walked the children along West End to see the construction of the new Christian Education Building.

In 1947, there were 45 children in one large room in the new education building.  In 1957, 75 children were enrolled and housed in the John M. Gray home owned by the church. From 1960 until 1997, WSYC was housed in the Children’s Education Building, and in January 1998 the entire program (165 children and 23 staff members) moved to the newly completed Children’s Building.

Westminster Kindergarten holds the distinction of being among the first early childhood programs in Nashville to achieve accreditation through the National Association for the Education of Young Children. In 2010, the toddlers & twos program and kindergarten program merged to consolidate administration and streamline operations.   In 2014, WSYC completed the process of re-accreditation through NAEYC, continuing our three-star status with the state of Tennessee and our national torch-bearer status through NAEYC. WSYC has more than 260 students currently enrolled.